Thursday, March 25, 2010

Mineral makeup is awesome

So I've been playing around with makeup for the last couple weeks. More so than usual. The reason why is because I'm trying to get into mineral makeup. My friend from Singapore bought Everyday Minerals like TONS of samples. She found her color and she gave me the rest which was like 10 foundation colors. And picking and choosing the foundation color was hard as hell. But anyways, I kinda pushed them to the side because I was using Maybelline Pure Minerals (not so pure by the way) and it was working pretty alright for me. And then one day  I decided to try to pick my color. So tons of arm and face swatches later, I chose Golden medium / Light medium. And for some strange reason I was having "good" face days as in no breaking out, none of that tiny random adult acne. And I was ecstatic, its a breakthrough! I tried to go back to Maybelline one day and broke out just sporadically. It was very sad for me, since I love the coverage of Maybelline and the fact that it keeps me oil free all day long.

So yes, I thought this is absolutely amazing I'm going to just wear mineral makeup from now on. Now I haven't really fully utilized the makeup, you know going out into the sweaty sun for long periods of time, I usually go from non-sunny room to non-sunny cab to non-sunny train to non-sunny mall. So yeah, I went out with it one day and I took fresh makeup pictures and when I came back, it looked really dark. Like super dark, like I went out and decided to stay in the sun for 6 hours type of dark. I was like okay?? This is weird. I went online and I read that the problem with mineral makeup is the fact that it Oxidizes. I know...WHAT?! Yeah apparently, when you sweat in generous amounts the mineral makeup mixes with your skin to create that not so gorgeous orange glow. So you don't see it initially til its too late :'(

So some of the solutions of oxidized mineral makeup was to choose a lighter shade. Seriously, that's exactly what I want to look like a geisha. So back to choosing the foundation color, AAAAGH! Helpful hints or tips for choosing mineral make up(I have experience[kinda]):
  • 1. Make sure your arms are clean before applying swatches(you don't want oils or other crap on your arm to effect the color of the foundation)
  • 2. Use your fingers. For every foundation color use a new finger(don't mix) or wipe your finger before dipping into another color.
  • 3. Make sure you remember the order of which you applied the foundation colors, they end up looking the same and its gets insanely confusing.
  • 4. I use the upper inside of my forearm to test the color because that's the closest color to my face OR just swatch it straight onto your face
  • 5. Here's the best tip. I apply them wet. I started becoming delerious because they all began to look EXACTLY alike. Plus I think with them wet it shows what would happen if I sweat with it on. 
  • So I pretty much lightly(very lightly don't just plunge it) dip my finger in water and then into the sample and onto my arm and continue to do that with the rest of the colors until I have a nice tiger-like design running down my arm. When your testing it on your arm keep laying it on thick, dip a lil water if necessary so it doesn't look like just plain powder.
From there I sit and wait, its even better if you do it in partial sweat, yea, go for a jog or do it my easy way and just turn off the air conditioning. The waiting part is because the color of foundation changes either darker or orangey-er, atleast for me.
The golden medium that I totally thought was my color turned a light brown, which is not very golden or medium. I finally settled on 3 colors, Light, Light neutral and Winged Butter(too yellow tho).

Initially the colors look pretty pale on me, but then after 15 to 30 minutes to 2 hours it was my shade. So pretty much I start the day 2 shades too light, but instead of orange they do turn slightly yellowy-er Which is fine because I'm pretty yellow.

So after I've chosen which colors I think suit me, I test them on my face. What I did was use 1 color on half my face and another color on the other half. And then I go about my day bumming around and check my face for changes, whilst sweating(very important). Couple hours later I decide which foundation is best suited for me. They probably both look very similar, so its up to you. Yup this whole process took me a week. hahaha, I was very indecisive and the turning orange on me was unexpected

I wish I did not oxidize mineral makeup, but I'm not really willing to give it up. I haven't had clear skin like this since elementary school.

No comments:

Post a Comment