Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Palmer's Skin Therapy Oil Review


I'm thoroughly impressed with this product. I might be speaking too soon since this is only day 3, my skin is so smooth and soft, but more on that later, on with the review.

I got this at Guardian for RM 29.90 it was the 60ml/2fl oz size, it came with a free 10 ml in dropper bottle format, so major bonus points. I was trying to decide whether I should get this over Bio Oil, this had better packaging and fewer ingredients. I actually wanted to get straight up Vitamin E oil, but that shit is expensive, 60 bucks for a 1 oz bottle doesn't really appeal to me. Plus I love the smell of Cocoa Butter and wasn't really sure how Bio oil smelled.

Claims:
On the box: "Skin looks and feels instantly soft and smooth with this unique non-greasy, non-staining formula. Also ideal when used as a bath oil for a deep moisturizing treatment."

It claims to help diminish scars, stretch marks, dry damaged skin, uneven skin tone and fine lines and wrinkles. It seems like it has a lot to live up to.

Ingredients:
Canola Oil, Isopropyl Myristrate, Cetearyl Ethylhexanoate, Sesamum Indicum (sesame) seed oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Dimethicone, Theobroma Cacao (cocoa) seed butter, Fragrance, Rosa Canina Seed extract.

Ingredient breakdown
Canola Oil: you cook with it. I've read that it doesn't do much but moisturize
Isopropyl Myristrate: reduces the yucky greasy feel of products by replacing other oilier ingredients.
Cetearyl Ethylhexanoate acts as a lubricant on the skin’s surface to give it a soft and smooth appearance. It also imparts water-repelling characteristics to cosmetics and personal care products, improves “spreadability,” and is used to improve dry skin conditions.
Sesame Seed Oil: slows the loss of water from the skin by forming a barrier on the skin’s surface. So moisturizes.
Tocopheryl Acetate AKA Vitamin E: useful for stretch marks, age spots, it gives moisture to the skin by preventing water loss, helps with sunburns and scars.
Dimethicone: I'm almost pretty sure this is found in all primers
Cocoa Butter: yumminess. Pretty much good for everything, moisturizing, stretch marks, scars, uneven skintone, and wrinkles. And it smells like chocolate.


Smell:
It says on the packaging that its rosehip fragrance, not really sure what that is. 
I think it smells good, but then again I do like things with a sweet scent to them. It smells a bit like cocoa butter and something sweet and flowery, it might be overbearing for those who like fragrance free products. The smell eventually goes away, but it does linger for awhile. 

Packaging:
The bigger 60ml bottle is made of clear plastic, I'm not too crazy about it. The opening is a tiny hole, I guess to squeeze it out? I can see myself spilling this product everywhere, I prefer the tiny dropper bottle, which is made of glass and you can control the amount of oil you want, unlike the bigger one I think. So I'll probably just transfer oil from the big bottle to the smaller dropper bottle once I finish the smaller one.
I admit its not the most expensive fanciest looking product, but its kind of comforting to see the traditional Palmer's Cocoa Butter logo. By the way it might not look like a lot of product, but I think its a good amount depending on what you're using it for, if you're going to douse your whole body in this stuff, that maybe not.

Application:
On the box: "Gently massage into affected area 3 times daily or as often as desired."

So far I've only applied this to my face, so my routine is I wash my face as thoroughly as I can with water, dry it with a cloth, I don't think your skin should be too wet when applying this. I take the dropper, fill it with only a fifth of oil, I don't even think I need that much. I barely squeeze it and I let the oil drop onto my finger and apply one drop to different sections of my face. Using my fingertips I try to massage it into my skin, especially my cheeks and in between my eyebrows, which are my problem areas. I apply a few drops to my neck and that's it. I do use moisturizer after because mine has SPF, but if I'm going to be at home all day or indoors, I don't even bother.

I apply this when I wake up, maybe a random time when I'm at home during the afternoon and before I go to bed. I haven't really used it for anything else besides my face, I don't have any stretch marks that I know of or any major scars on my body, I might use them on my legs for those darn mosquito bites. Also, I think if applied with a heavy hand the face can't absorb it all, so it does leave a sticky residue, that is not completely comfortable, so use adequate amounts.

Texture/ Consistency:
What do you want me to say? Its oil, hence oily. I'm kidding, its not that oily. I would describe it as a very light watered down oil. It only feels slightly slippery when I put it on, but after a few seconds that feeling totally disappears and you're left with a smooth feeling. Trust me, it does not feel like massage oil, cooking oil, hair oil, its lighter than a lot of lotions and moisturizers.
I don't the greasy feeling at all, maybe if apply too much, I might. But I feel completely moisturized. Sometimes my daily moisturizer clings to my dry skin, leaving a slightly white cast and making my flakes more obvious, but this stuff just moisturizes, leaving no residue, just glowy skin.

On the box: "Skin Therapy oil is formulated with out unique rapidermal absorption systeme for maximum penetration of the epidermal layer allowing our powerful ingredients to deliver targeted benefits. This fast drying formula penetrates deeply without greasiness. Non -staining, it allows one to dress immediately after application."

Overall:
This is such an awesome product. I have these zits, that already have come to head and dried up but they still form a bump on my skin, like a cyst, but it doesn't hurt and its not really typical acne. Its just annoying because its a literal bump on face that looks like acne but its dark, it goes away after a week or more but not the dark spot it leaves behind, that can take even longer. Well the first night I tried this and they dramatically reduced, I was pretty shocked. Now on the 3rd day, there's barely even a bump, I'm impressed.

My skin looks awesome, its looks so smooth and glowy, none of that ruddy dullness. I have absolutely no dry patches whatsoever. My pores looks smaller, no new breakouts and even the blackheads on my nose have reduced.This is my new miracle product. If this can totally smooth out my skin and not break me out, I will throw down some serious cash and buy this for everyone I know.

I shall update you on the progress of this...

Updates:

May 7th 2010
I got one large pimple on my cheek, I don't think the oil is the cause of it, but it obviously doesn't keep my acne at bay. However, the texture of my skin is growing more and more smoother and I can see my scars fading.

No comments:

Post a Comment