Thursday, April 8, 2010

Blushes are yummy



I am of Asian descent. South East Asian specifically, unlike my mother I do not have a soft pink glow, I'm incapable of blushing. My face looks really dead without color, so I cheat and I wear blush. This is probably my makeup staple. While most girls probably can't live without mascara or eyeliner, for me its blushes, I think it just adds that hint of glow to make your face really stand out.

I know if applied incorrectly you can look like a circus clown, I've seen quite a few girls who go heavy on the blush and it looks pretty scary. But I think it looks kinda sad when a girl is wearing full on makeup with no cheek color, it looks a bit unnatural.

My blush rules:
1. apply with big soft fluffy brush, do NOT use the crappy small brushes that come with blush compacts, unless your head is the size of Barbie's. I think the reason why people don't like blush is because they're either applying it wrong or the brush is just too small, so you get a streak of blush on your face that just looks wrong.

2. Don't automatically assume that everyone blushes in pinky pink. With me only specific pinks look nice on me, many of them look chalky. With different skin tones, comes different colors of blush. Most people would advise to choose a blush color similar to your actual blush color. The only time I "blush" is when I'm at the gym, but I look slightly gross at the gym, so I'm not going to take that example.

3. I think the most universally flattering colors are coral, peach and soft pink. I don't think you can really go wrong with this. Rose is also pretty, but you need a light hand, or else circus freak comes in mind.

4. Applying blush. I lightly dip the brush into the blush, I swirl very lightly and then I dab it onto the lid, swirl it around some more so it evenly covers the brush. By the way you don't necessarily have to see the color on the brush to see if you have enough.

5. I then take the brush and bring it to the chunky part of my cheeks and brush upwards towards the top part of my ear, then I buff it in to create a smoother finish, make sure there are no lines. I do that to both sides and that pretty much it.  .

6. If you applied too much add a bit of face powder and try to buff it away.

7. My way of seeing whether I applied too much blush is squinting at the mirror. You shouldn't be able to see color or only small amount. But if its obvious color when you're squinting, then you've applied too much.


Everyday Minerals Blushes

 Everyday mineral blushes L-R: All smiles, Summer Stroll, Weekend Getaway, Snuggle


Okay. Enough with the rules. I'm going to do a review of my new blushes that I got form Everyday Minerals. I have 5 colors. They are: Summer Stroll, All Smiles, Snuggle, Weekend Getaway, and Nick Nack. I think these blushes are gorgeous, I got All smiles, weekend getaway and nick nack in their coral try me package. The other two I got off lowyat. They're very smooth and quite pigmented, I don't have to keep reapplying over and over again to achieve the look I want.

Weekend Getaway


I know it looks like such a simple color, but its my favorite of the bunch. It has the perfect amount of soft pink and coral to look very natural. There's no sparkle whatsoever, but it looks amazing on my cheeks, I think if I were to ever really blush this would be the color I'd hope to be flushed with.

All Smiles

I think everyone who's used EDM has tried this blush. its extra pretty and its matte. Its a peachy pink, its very vibrant and pigmented, so you would need a light hand to apply this. Its a nice glowing color for tans out there.

Snuggle

I would describe this as a soft medium pink with sheen. I don't typically wear sparkly blushes because they tend to look gaudy, but this is so pretty. It makes my cheeks pop in the nice way. I was so freaked out when I saw this, because all I thought was wow, that's glitter. I was reading some reviews about it, and quite a few people would describe this as Nar orgasm, I have no idea about that since I don't buy expensive makeup. But if you're looking for something with a warm pink and slight sparkle, this is it.

Summer stroll


This color would freak most people out because its so orange. It has a bit of sheen(not as much as snuggle) but it goes on pretty matte. Its also very pretty and doesn't turn up orange on your skin, I don't know how to describe it, like peachy-apricot. My only issue with this blush, it doesn't want to stick to my face. I have to use a heavy hand for this and its gone after a couple hours.

Nick Nack
Cool muted pink. I don't wear this, it just looks chalky and doesn't show up on my skin

I think these blushes are amazing and the fact that they are minerals just add to how perfect they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment