Sunday, January 23, 2011

Malaysian thrift stores

Okay, I'm a huge fan of thrift stores, I've been shopping at them since I was in America. You can just find the most amazing things if you look hard enough. They don't have vintage or second-hand stores in Malaysia, at least not obviously placed around the city. Crazily enough there's a stall in the Wangsa Maju Carrefour, that is small but sells rows and rows of dresses.

Yes, most dresses look like total shit and should be burned, but I've gotten several dresses that I love. The best part is the fact that they're ONLY 15 ringgits, that's quite a steal if you find something worthy. So far, I've gotten 3 black dresses, one lacy and the other a slinky black thing and a loose one with awesome pockets. A long pink summer dress, a lime green one, a hippie loose purple dress with pockets, a striped maxi dress, a blue 50's-like striped dress and an awesome super colorful kaftan like one. I know there's no trying it out, or really knowing whether these would look good on you. I guess it just depend on what's your style and if you're willing to step out of the box. If I can just get my boyfriend to take a picture of me in these dresses, I'll be able to show the insane possibilities. Of course all these dresses are one of a kind pieces, you can't go riffling through to find your size or another color. And you will have to encounter a lot of uglyness, but its worth it.

Anyways, if anyone knows where I can find more of these stalls, do tell! thanks

update: July 29 2013
The stall in Carrefour is gone. I'm so sad. Now the only place I know where they have it is at Amcorp Mall, a lot more shops and stalls with old stuff. Definitely check it out!

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Glad you get to buy all the dresses you like at a cheap price. Im sure you'll look good in it. Anyways, may i know where exactly the shop in amcorp mall is? Is it inside or outside? Is there a name for the shop? Thanks! Oh and do you happen to know where i can buy vintage typewriters?

    ReplyDelete